Saturday, March 31, 2007

how cool is that?

Let me say first that I am not advising anyone to go watch a movie during Holy Week :-) This is just for future reference. I saw Children of Men this afternoon. Not only is it a great movie (gave it five stars on Netflix), but I love that the only helpful strangers they run into are a family of Georgian Orthodox refugees (the one near Russia, not the one near Alabama), complete with icons on the side table. I'm not a film critic, and I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone. If you're not familiar with it already, the premise is that all humanity goes infertile somewhere around 2009. 18 years later, the cause is still a mystery. The youngest person on the planet is a huge celebrity, schools are closed, most of the world is in chaos, and England is fighting to rid itself of illegal immigrants. When a pregnant woman finally appears on the scene, the main character is unsuspectingly drafted as her guardian. It ends up being a great story about humanity amid the death-throes of Western culture. The message is not particularly religious, but you don't have to look very far to find truth and reality.

No comments: